Today we kick off a brand new Sunday message series called Bible Oddities. For the next six weeks through the Labor Day weekend, we’ll explore some odd, amazing, fun, and interesting aspects of the Bible that you probably never heard of, as well as some surprising insights into many common misinterpretations of the Good Book.
To get us started on this fascinating journey, here are a few very odd facts about the Bible we found on a popular website that will probably have you scratching your head:
· In 1631, a publishing company published a Bible with the typo “Thou Shalt Commit Adultery.” Only 9 of these Bibles, known as the “Sinners’ Bible” exist today.
· The Bible is not a single work but a collection of works from a wide variety of authors, such as shepherds, kings, farmers, priests, poets, scribes, and fisherman. Authors also include traitors, embezzlers, adulterers, murders, and auditors.
· The longest word in the Bible is “Mahershalalhashbaz (Isaiah 8:3).
· The Bible has inspired more song lyrics than any other book, including “40” by U2, “Adam Raised a Cain” by Bruce Springsteen, “Adam’s Apple” by Aerosmith, “All you Zombies” by The Hooters, “Be Still” by Kelly Clarkson, “Blackened” by Metallica, “Cinnamon Girl” by Prince, “Come Sail Away by Styx, “Every Grain of Sand” by Bob Dylan, “I am God” by Kanye West and many more.
· The Bible is the most commonly stolen book in the world, most likely because it is so available in hotel rooms and places of worship.
· Bob Marley was buried with a stalk of marijuana, his red Gibson Les Paul guitar, and the Holy Bible.
· There are 93 women who speak in the Bible, 49 of whom are named. They speak a total of 14,056 words, or about 1.1 percent of the Bible. There are a total of 188 named women in the Bible.
· The world’s smallest bible can fit on the tip of a pen. Scientists etched the 1.2 million letters of the Old Testament on a tiny silicone disk, which they call the “Nano Bible.”
· The world’s largest Bible weighs 1,094 pounds. Built by Louis Waynai in 1930, the book is 43.5 inches tall and a laid open width of 98 inches.
Test your knowledge of the Bible this Summer. Join us each Sunday for a biblical adventure in discovering what you probably don't know about God's Word.
 Karin Lehnardt, “50 Amazing Bible Facts,” www.factretriever.com/bible-facts.
Saint Brendan Church in San Francisco. Check out our exciting featured news articles.